Monday, May 07, 2007

New Directions

My youngest daughter made a wonderful suggestion the other day that gave me one of those moments of clarity where the little lightbulb goes went on over my head. She suggested that I use this blog as a sort of running journal of my illnesses to document them & perhaps suggest that my doctors read it to try to gain some understanding of what I'm going through. I have so many things wrong with me that it makes it damn hard to explain what it is that I feel -- it's just so hard to put it in words somtimes. And try as I might to understand the physiological changes that are taking place inside me, I just don't have the scientific background to really be able to know with any certainty what's really happening (although I'm pretty good at guessing rather accurately).

The question that stands before me is this: for whom do I write this blog (when I do write)? Am I writing this for myself, & therefore, forget about anyone who might wander in here to check this out? Am I writing for an audience that I hope might wander by, get interested & come back regularly to read what I have to say? (I never saw it as that.) Up to now, I really hadn't been able to even keep MY interest in writing regularly here, let alone to suppose that others might be checking in. So no, this blog was mainly intended for my own journaling & now the idea of keeping track of my health journey may even give me some insight into any reoccurring symptoms that when added up might be significant & even helpful in finding ways to help improve my current situation.

So, if you're reading this, be prepared for future posts to contain a LOT of health stuff that might not be interesting to anyone other than (a) myself, (b) any one of my multitude of doctors, or (c) a health science junkie (e.g., a nursing or medical student, etc.).

By the way, if some of what I'm about to write appears to you to be borderline hypochondria, please be assured that it is not. I got the bona fides to back up all these conditions, folks. It's for real. On the other hand, I have very recently sought the aid of a therapist to help me work on my panic/anxiety issues that seem to blur the line between what is happening to me due to the workings of my own body, and that which is aided and encouraged by my mind. I have great hopes for finding some relief there.

No comments: